How to get an OMMP Card

If you want to know how to get an OMMP card in Oregon you must consider several factors. The Oregon Medical Marijuana Program card is for patients with qualifying medical conditions.

You must have a qualifying debilitating medical condition such as chronic pain or PTSD, and a physician must sign a form called the Attending Physician’s Statement that indicates the condition for which you are using cannabis. Your physician must be a Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) licensed to practice medicine in Oregon. You must have an established patient/physician relationship with your attending physician.

Now we will explain, step by step, the process getting your OMMP card.

First, go see a Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) to document your condition. Naturopaths, chiropractors, and nurse practitioners cannot sign the Attending Physical Statement, but they are important and can provide additional chart notes which demonstrate ongoing treatment of your condition.

For folks who have direct access to a doctor or a specialist, your personal physician can sign you Attending Physician Statement during your annual physical exam or during any other appointment. Some doctors don’t feel comfortable signing the Attending Physician Statement and will prefer that you see a doctor who specializes in medical cannabis. The doctor who has specialized knowledge of marijuana as a medicine will then be the one to sign your Attending Physician Statement for the OMMP. So while it may seem silly, you may have to see a second doctor who will sign your doctor note for the state.

Like many of us who do not have health insurance or a primary care physician, the only doctor available to us is at an urgent care center. This is a very viable option and often costs less than seeing a doctor that’s part of a large clinic. There are several Urgent Care centers in Bend, for example, and are generally less costly than a visit to Bend Memorial Clinic. An MD or a DO must document your condition, and not a Physician’s Assistant (PA). The health care provider can make you a copy of your “chart notes” which are your medical records that prove you have seen the physician.

Many physicians have not had continuing education coursework regarding the benefits of medical cannabis. Or, they may work for a large healthcare organization that has a policy which prohibits a doctor from signing the Attending Physician Statement (often relating to insurance or other contractual reasons).

Stone Age Farmacy PDX

You must be 21 years old to continue.

Please verify your age: